New York rapper (and former stage-school student) Azealia Banks takes third place in the BBC’s Sound Of 2012 new music list.
The list, compiled using tips from more than 180 tastemakers – made up of music critics, editors, broadcasters and bloggers – aims to highlight some of the most exciting emerging artists.
Azealia says of the recogniztion:
I don’t want to be called the ‘next big thing’ because that implies there’s another big thing after you. The media does a really good job of discarding artists – and it has a really big effect what people think about themselves. So I try to keep a lot of that talk out of my head. I’d rather be a dope artist that people are just starting to find out about.”
Watch Azealia speak to BBC here!
- New Music| Azealia Banks ‘Liquorice’
- BBC Announces ‘Sound Of 2012′ Longlist
- New Music| Scissor Sisters x Azealia Banks ‘Shady Love’
- MTV Brand New For 2012 List Announced!
- BRIT Awards 2012 Trophy Revealed!